There are things I had to say about Christmas across America and how weird people can be in gas stations. I had things to say about being home in Texas for Christmas and being in the Valley with my family.
But when I got home from the Valley 2 days ago I got bad news that erased those silly things I had to say and frankly my brain has been consumed with this news for the past 2 days.
A high school classmate of mine died in Iraq on Christmas Eve. He was one of the boys, big man on campus, star of football and baseball, a name you know if you're from the Bluff. People keep saying that the war is going on too long, Rosie O'Donnell tells me all the time - that it in fact should of never happened; I'm not the President and I'm not in congress but as a member of the Class of 2000 who won't get to see John Paul at our upcoming reunion - I've had enough of it.
I'm sure there are people out there who can throw their, "he signed up for it" "what about the other people who have died" "now you care that it's someone you know." And you can keep them.
John Paul was an idol at my school, one of those people who walked down the hall like they were constantly in a music video. In school he was sports hero and a loyal friend, now he's an American hero. I think it's pretty amazing that I may not know John Paul the best, but all I do know is that he was a hero.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Q
- East, Texas, United States
- I am the brown eyed girl from the song. I'm full of conceited independence. I love my friends so I wised up and became fiercly loyal. I'm a southern social butterfly who also enjoys time to herself. Life is the great adventure and love is in the details.
1 comment:
I'm just seeing your blog & let me say how sorry I am to hear about your friend. I have people over in Iraq that I worry about every second of evedry day (one is currently in the hospital due to a suicide bomber). Wish I could say more to ease the pain but there are no words that can truly ease the pain of losing a friend. Just remember the good times & know that John was trying to make a difference; he was trying to change the word for the better.
Post a Comment